Not even close...
Our regular team of David, Ian and I were up to full strength at last night's Retro Bar Pop Quiz with Darren joining us again. We were all squeezed into a corner at the end of the bar and felt optimistic as the question setters were known for their heavy reliance on 70s/80s pop. We were sadly mistaken though. Mistaken to be optimistic that is. We got a measly 13½ out of a possible 20 points. Here are the questions.
01. Name two artists that had hits with the title The Look of Love.
02. Name two artists that had hits with the title Money.
03. Name two artists that had hits with the title Things Can Only Get Better.
04. Name two artists that had hits with the title Why?
05. Who had a top ten hit with Painter Man in 1979?
06. Spot the connection: Dollar's Mirror, Mirror, Talk Talk's Today and The Jam's News of the World.
07. Which famous musician has done a recent cover of The Lion Sleeps Tonight?
08. B-52s: were they siblings or a couple?
09. The Mamas and The Papas: were they siblings or a couple?
10. Talking Heads: were they siblings or a couple?
11. Who has recently covered David Essex's Rock On?
12. Who has recently covered The Human League's Being Boiled?
13. Who has recently covered Christie's Yellow River?
14. Who had a top ten hit in 1990 with a cover of The Rolling Stones' I'm Free?
15. Spot the connection: Blondie's Heart of Glass, The Associates' Club Country, The Beatles' Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Motorhead's The Ace of Spades.
16. What was the A-side of the Pet Shop Boy's B-side A Man Could Get Arrested?
17. What was the A-side of the Eurhythmics' B-side I Could Give You (A Mirror)?
18. What was the A-side of M's B-side M factor?
19. Who had a top ten hit with Hole In My Shoe?
20. What year were these all hits: 10cc The Things We Do For Love, ELO Living Thing and The Sex Pistols Anarchy In The UK?
The winners got 17½ but didn't win the cash so that rolls over to next week.