After a very long break we were back at The Retro Bar Retroteasers Pop Quiz last night. Darren, Stuart and I were the only people who could make it in our team and we thought we might be a bit rusty: for a start we all self confessed as ignoramuses as to what is in the current charts. But, hey, we were there for fun.
Surprise, surprise it turned out we came second (inasmuch as you can actually know if you come second). One point behind the winners on sixteen and a half. Now if only we hadn't given away one of the answers to the team that eventually won...
I shall try and recreate some of the quiz here if you want to give it a try:
01. Which flamboyant showman covered The Beatles's Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds?
02. Which 80's trio covered The Beatles's Revolution?
03. More famous for jazz but which EF covered The Beatles's Can't Buy Me Love?
04. They were prog rock's finest - but who covered The Beatles's Every Little Thing?
05. He'd sung about space before but who then did a dreadful cover of The Beatles's Across The Universe?
06. Which cheesy crooner told us a story by covering The Beatles's Hard Day's Night?
07. Spot the connection: Sweet / S-S-S-Single Bed / Underpass
08. Claudia Brucken covered: "I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour" : can you name the original artist and song?
09. Claudia Brucken covered: "Here she comes, you better watch your step" : can you name the original artist and song?
10. Claudia Brucken covered: "One pill makes you larger, And one pill makes you small, And the ones that mother gives you Don't do anything at all" : can you name the original artist and song?
11. Which one hit wonder sang Big In Japan?
12. Which one hit wonder sang Fire!?
13. Which one hit wonder sang Hanging Around?
14. Which one hit wonder sang Tantalise?
15. Put these James Bond songs in the order (highest to lowest) that they charted in the UK Charts: (a ) Goldfinger, (b) Live And Let Die, (c) A View To A Kill and (d) Thunderball.
16. M's Pop Music: how does the chorus go? (Clue: 10 words that start with "New York...")
17. Spot the connection: Sailor / Bad Manners / Kelis
18. The Mini-Pops disco covers: "She is D delirious, She is I incredible" & "Young man, there's no need to feel down" : name the two artists
19. The Mini-Pops disco covers: "So bring your good times, and your laughter too We're gonna celebrate your party with you" & "You know it doesn't make much sense
There ought to be a law against Anyone who takes offense At a day in your celebration" : name the two artists
20. Name the year: The Boom Boom Room - Natasha / I Eat Cannibals - Toto Coela / Mirror Man - The Human League