The UK Civil Partnership legislation was passed by the Government last November and will come into force later this year - on 5th December 2005 to be exact. That is to say the first date for registering at the Registrars' offices is 5th December 2005 and the first ceremonies will start on the 21st December 2005. Brighton is hoping to be the first with three planned for just after midnight on that day.
Key Points for couples are:
- Must be of the same sex.
- Must not be married or already a civil partner.
- Not under 16.
- Parental consent is needed if under 18.
- Must give notice of proposed civil partnership to the Registration authority.
- Must have resided in England and Wales for at least 7 days before giving notice.
- Notification must include a declaration as stated in the Act.