We didn't win last night but we came close. A mere 16 out of a possible 20 – but it was enough to secure us 2nd place and a prize of a Santa Selection chocolate box each. There wasn't much money up for grabs for the winners (£26 and a bottle of bubbly) and the money had to go as this was the last Pop Quiz of the year - next week is the pantomime and the following weeks are Xmas and New Years.
Our team name was ‘The Mincing Pies’ - inspired by the free Christmas crackers and minced pies on offer (courtesy of the gorgeous Wendy). Our team consisted of David, Dave, Ian and myself. The ever lovely Marcus seemed happy to watch – though he was there for another reason (more of that later).
The theme of the quiz was Christmas records.
01. What was last year’s UK Xmas no. 1? Simple really.
02. ‘Happy Xmas (War Is Over)’ by John and Yoko and The Plastic Ono Band with the Harlem Community Choir was been released 4 times in the UK but what year was it first released?
03. Who had a hit with ‘Wonderful Christmastime’?
04. Who had a hit with ‘2000 Miles’
05. Spot the connection between ‘A Spaceman Came Travelling’ and ‘Driving Home For Christmas’ (clue: it’s not a travel connection)
06. ‘Step Into Xmas’ – Elton John, ‘Merry Xmas Everyone’ – Shakin’ Stevens and ‘Another Rock and Rollin’ Xmas’ – Gary Glitter. What are their real names?
07. Who took ‘I Believe’ to the top of the charts in 1953 for an incredible 18 weeks?
08. Who sang ‘Lonely Pup (In A Christmas Shop)’?
09. Dido has recorded a Xmas record. Can you name it?
10. Which two boy bands sang ‘I Don't Wanna Spend One More Christmas Without You’ and ‘Christmas Time’?
11. How many weeks was Whitney Houston’s version of ‘I Will Always Love You’ at no. 1 in 1992.
12. Who was recently rerecorded ‘Islands In The Stream’ with Dolly Parton?
13. What three successive years were the Spices Girls at the Xmas no. 1 slot with ‘Too Much’, ‘2 Become 1’ and ‘Goodbye’?
14. Can you name Willy Nelson’s Christmas hit?
15. Who covered Wham’s Last Xmas in 1995?
16. “Rocking around the Christmas tree at the Christmas party hop.
Mistletoe hung where you can see every couple tries to stop.
Rocking around the Christmas tree, let the Christmas spirit ring.
Later we'll have some pumpkin pie and we'll do some carolling.
You will get a sentimental feeling when you hear”… what are the next 12 words?
17. Who sang ‘Frosty The Snowman’, ‘Sleigh Ride With You‘ and ‘I Saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus’. The Crystals or The Ronettes?
18. Who has a current chart hit with a cover of ‘Country Roads’?
19. What is Cliff Richard’s current chart hit?
20. Who has a current chart hit ‘I Believe In Xmas’?
If you can get any of the answers drop them in my comments below.